Thursday, February 10

I want to write my name in the sky...

The Himalayas!! After a decade of dreaming, we can see 'em all around us and they are gorgeous. Dehra Dun, India, home of basmati rice and a surprisingly good Starbucks knockoff called Barista. Meg started her first medical rotation here on Monday and she's got a hilarious story about her first five minutes on the job coming at you momentarily. Tomorrow we're headed out to a little village called Than Gaon. (Meg'll be trekking through the hills looking for villagers to heal, and I'll be teaching environmental education to a bunch of four year-olds who don't speak English). Sweet.

While Meg goes to work each day here, I've been kicking it with our host family, The Mehtas, mostly with their fourteen year-old Varun. We've found common ground in our shared love of professional wrestling, though he's an Undertaker man while I've always had a soft spot for Stone Cold Steve Austin. Whenever we get tired of talking about wrestling, I pull out my guitar. I'm teaching him the wonders of Tom Petty and Pink Floyd. He's helping me learn to love Avril Lavigne. He's one chord away from having "Free Fallin'" nailed. I'm shocked at the musical complexity of "Complicated." The Indian cultural exchange continues....

By the way, we've got a new set of photos up from our last week of travelling in India before we hit the Himalayas. Click here and click on "Play as Slideshow" to take a look. And as always, you can click on individual photos during the slideshow if you wanna see captions.

---rahul

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home